Line dance instructor Jill Weiss[1] sings the praises of the new Leather J's leather goods store in New Milford.


"This is filling a huge niche that's been missing in the area," said Weiss, who teaches at Coyote Maverick. "I constantly am asked `Where can I buy boots?' Now I have someplace to send folks."


Leather J's opened Aug. 31 at 48 Kent Road (Route 7) next to S.J. Barrington[2] 's. It's owned by Jason Weller, 40, son of Lise and Frank Weller, who owned The Cow[3] 's Outside in Danbury for 30 years.


"I'm the fourth generation of leather crafters," Weller said. "My grandparents opened Helen's Leather in Boston. My playroom as a child was my mom's workshop. When I was playing with my G.I. Joes, I made their caves from leather scraps."


An experienced leather crafter, Weller specializes in custom crafting everything from leather bags to harnesses to motorcycle seats. He repairs saddles, bridles, tack and more.


Leather J's stocks more than 1,000 Western boots, sandals and shoes for men, women and children made by Lucchese, Tony Lama[4] , Justin and Dan Post, among others. They come in an array of alligator, lizard and snakeskin.


In addition, Leather J's stocks motorcycle and all-weather boots from Acme, HH and Boulet.


Leather garments from jackets to chaps by Schott, Vanson and Scully line the racks and Stetson cowboy hats, handbags, belts and wallets are offered.


"This is the perfect place for us," Weller said of the New Milford location. "There's a good mix of horse people who need tack and saddle repairs and motorcycle riders who travel Route 7."


Weller's wife, Vanessa, handles the bookkeeping and sales floor.


"With our youngest just turned 10, I'm able to become more involved with the business," Vanessa Weller[5] said. "My experience with leather before was mostly wearing it."


Warren resident Kevin Fritch[6] stopped into the store one day.


"This is nice because you really need to try on boots," Fritch said. "You can look at boots in a catalog or online and they'll look good, but until you try them on, you don't know if they're right."


Leather J's is at 48 Kent Road (Route 7) in New Milford. The store is open Tuesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. For further information call 860-957-7024.



References



  1. ^ Jill Weiss (www.newstimes.com)

  2. ^ S.J. Barrington (www.newstimes.com)

  3. ^ The Cow (www.newstimes.com)

  4. ^ Tony Lama (www.newstimes.com)

  5. ^ Vanessa Weller (www.newstimes.com)

  6. ^ Kevin Fritch (www.newstimes.com)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top